Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Sittin' Stitchin'

 We had some rain over the weekend, and I had some time, so that was the perfect set up to sit and stitch by hand again.

I decided I might try to stitch a bit of sampler because that way I don't feel as if every decision is critical - I am just testing and trying things out, finding my way...

By way of beginning, some soft grey onto the reverse of some lovely hand printed linen. Running stitch is the perfect stitch for me; the rhythm the repetitiveness, yet the non-perfection. Edges left to fray. 

Followed by next favourites tech blanket stitch, going around three edges with no contrast in the thread colour, and leaving one edge open. Wondered if it might become a pocket?


I recalled that a split back stitch is a good stitch for lines so I traced around a bowl and decided to stitch a circle line.


And then began a little test - using cross stitch to hold a piece down.



And thinking that the blank salmonness of that larger patch was too much, went in with some contrasting running stitch to soften it.


In different directions.

And blanket stitched the edges all the way around.


I am really enjoying the palette. Some of the fabrics came with the kit; and so far all the threads I have used did.  Perfect colour combinations.  I have added in some fabric of my own and will probably introduce some of my threads as well.

Speaking of which I purchased some newbies from String Theory - a place in Australia that stocks some Habu threads!  

I do love the way textile folk wrap things.


Some beautiful linen paper thread from Habu and some gorgeous naturally dyed cotton threads from Temaricious.


As ever, I am reminded of how soothing sittin' stitchin' can be.

8 comments:

  1. such beautiful colours and textures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a lovely combo Mo - I am enjoying them greatly!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Fiona. Love slow stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love how the other-side printing whispers through, the perfect backdrop to your stitch-going ... and that wrapping paper holds real potential

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz - I found the right side too busy so the wrong side hinting has been just right!

      Delete
  4. I love the palette, too! It is so nice to handstitch with linen. The circle grabs my eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee - the palette has been a surprising delight and the fabric is very lovely to stitch with. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.