Sunday, October 18, 2020

Teaching pebbles

 Which is a kind of strange title, but it's what I did during the week - taught my calligraphy on pebbles workshop.

My workshop table before we began


It was a fabulous group - we had seven participants which is a lovely number, allowing for more personal time with participants.  We were writing Versals on the pebbles - code for built up letters.  The letters are formed by pen strokes or pencil strokes and then filled in. Sort of like drawing for letters.

Everyone got a small jar of ink and a handmade pen (dowel, plastic tubing and a nib). I had n exemplar which had four different style son it and they all had some paper with lines ruled to practice with.


We started with pencils on paper, and then went to ink on paper... and after a short break we headed to the pebbles...

A before shot.


During...


And some afters...





It was great to see the variations that people tried.  Everybody felt more comfortable with one style than another and the workshop was all about encouraging folk to find their own style, their own expression. And they did.

We did a small group exercise so they all got to take some other folk's pebbles home with them as well.

In secret I then got them all to write one letter on a pebble.

Whilst those pebbles dried we made pouches for the pebbles from old book pages.  We made so many pouches!!!



And then the secret word was revealed as I finished the class and thanked them for their enthusiasm and effort.


And now to some of this week's flowers.  I have such a soft spot for leptospernum flowers; they are so delicate and I love the wispiness of the foliage as well. Some delicate white ones here paired with a delight small pink grevillea (names unknown).

My trio of vases go from white thru a blend of white-pink to pink!




Such delight they give me.

4 comments:

  1. how I would have loved to attend your pebble-inking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun session and I am sure that you would have enjoyed it - as would have I had you been there! Go well.

      Delete
  2. love all the lettered pebbles & the lemon scented Leptospermum is a favourite here too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh they are such beauties Mo. We planted out 4 cascading pink ones today and another 2m shrub one (with rich burgundy foliage and deep crimson flowers - swoon!). go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.