Thursday, October 1, 2020

Thursday Thoughts...

“If you have the choice between being right and being kind, choose being kind” 

Dr Wayne W. Dyer.

I think this is one of those little reminders that can on the surface appear to be a bit twee; a bit light; or a bit saccharine. Yet, despite its simplicity it holds a deep truth and a deal of wisdom; and a challenge that many of us fail.

For isn't it hard at times to set ego aside; to set aside appearing right, more knowledgeable or smarter than somebody else and simply let the moment be?

Rather than proving oneself superior (or right) to instead simply let the moment go and be kind.  Kind to the person; the group; the relationship or the friendship.  Kind to people you care about. 

In a competitive world it can sometimes be hard to not actively choose to win; but rather to be satisfied with keeping a level playing field; of keeping relationships intact and maintaining good relationships.

Oftentimes the point being proven 'right' is petty and of no real importance; the important thing in the moment to the person intent on rightness is in the proving that they are right.  

I know I have a tendency towards this, towards showing people I know what's what. And I know that it can be petty and I know the it can be pointless and I know that it can be painful.  So I try to be better, and I try to be kinder.





4 comments:

  1. yes to all of this ... to which I would add apologizing, sincerely and fully, when self-righteousness takes precedence over kindness (something I have a fair bit of experience with unfortunately)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Liz, that is a powerful and important addition. And quickly too, if you can, rather than having things stew. Go well.

      Delete
  2. (((Fiona))) such a beautiful post for the kindness is much needed in these dark days

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.