Thursday, December 22, 2022

Thursday Thoughts...

"I decided that if I could paint that flower in a huge scale, you could not ignore its beauty." 

Georgia O'Keeffe

In this quote it feels as if Georgie O'Keefe is speaking about drawing attention to things that might otherwise go unnoticed.  She chose scale and size to shock people and make them look; to take a second look at a flower and begin to understand how stunningly amazing it is.

Oftentimes I think much of my work, and work I admire, is about drawing attention to issues we find hard to look at too closely, to speak about, and to understand.

Somehow making something HUGE or really really quiet, or beautiful can feel like a paradigm shift that opens up our capacity to see things anew, afresh.

Changing our perspective; offering people a way in; encouraging new ways of looking at things; all of these are gifts that art offers...


poppy


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.