Sunday, December 11, 2022

A lovely exchange is underway...

One of the things I love about the internet, about blogs, and about artistic communities that share their wisdom, thoughts and explorations around the globe, is how you can make friends without ever meeting them.

  I have made some marvellous friends in this way and we have, whenever possible, gone out of our way on travels to catch up and meet face to face. The joy of actually meeting someone in person, who you feel as if you already know so well through so many simpatico moments is so good!

We have met blog friends in Washington State, Arizona, New York, New Jersey, Vermont, Wales, and here in Australia where we have hosted friends from afar when meeting them for the first time.

Sadly, I am yet to meet face to face with my blogging friend Annwyn who lives in Yorkshire; but we have corresponded regularly throughout the pandemic, measuring days and experiences; sharing thoughts and worries, and happiness when things go well.

Her website can be found here annwyndean.co.uk and her blog is here, both well worth a visit and a wander...

We were probably both still feeling a little doubtful, tentative and unsure (ahhh validation!) when we decided to try a small book exchange across the globe.

Even though parcel and post systems across the world have not really recovered from the earliest days of lockdowns and the like, we have stepped forward into the future, hopefully being able to send a book or two to each other in the mail.

We have chosen the working title "The Shape of Things" which we felt gave us a real freedom of interpretation. We plan to make two books, or an edition of two, or two sibling books as I might call them, and send one to the other; and keep one for ourselves.

Our first book is due to be posted in the first week of January, and the pair of us are quietly working away on opposite sides of the world.

We have tried to be kind to ourselves and not put too much pressure on, which is wise!

I began pottering about with some ideas about backgrounds and pages when we were at the cottage in Scotland. This was a challenge for me in a couple of ways as I really tend not to use much colour in my work. Here I was adding pattern and texture as well! Glory be.

But I must say, I like where I landed.

So much testing, trialling and experimenting happens whenever I attempt to make a book.  So many meanderings down this path and that.

Here I was thinking about imagery - the fence line on the hill outside our bedroom window at the cottage.


Already I had run away from colour and texture and pattern, thinking maybe the simplicity of the white would be my answer.


And then I recalled one of our thoughts had been to push ourselves into somewhat uncomfortable areas, so back to colour and pattern and texture I went. Still not venturing anywhere near bold or bright colour however! And still staying small for now.


We had also committed to using words...and I quite liked how this vintage Letraset played with the word doubtful, epitomising how it feels I think.


So lots of this sort of testing and trialling and going back and forth happened at the cottage. With limited supplies, this was the quality of Letraset I was playing with:




And with the limited amounts I had to create letters from all sorts of other letters, many an 'o; came from a 'q'.


Nevertheless, the work continues...

We sent each other a packet of papers for the other to choose from handiwork with; so many delights popped out of Annwyn's envelope - here are a few fragments...



So having achieved so much testing whilst away, back in Australia the final format is taking shape, and the final presentation I have in mind, but am still working on some kinks.

We have agreed we will share fragments of the process along the way, but not reveal the essence of the books until we have each received our copy. I am making progress, and edging closer and am on track for an early January posting!

2 comments:

  1. love the magic of the webs you are weaving together through this connection in the cyber sea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Mo - webs across the world, magic woven...go well!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.