Thursday, December 15, 2022

Thursday Thoughts...

"We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever."  

Philip Pullman

Before giving true pondering consideration to this quote I think I just nodded my head in complete and utter agreement with the words We need books, time and silence.

Sounds like the perfect antidote to busy times, pressured times and times when you just feel a bit frayed or strung out.

I am sure that as a recipe (with a cup tea perhaps, wine, coffee?) most of the ills of the world could go away...

The rest of the quote leaves us with an extra dose of hope as well I think - the thought that Once upon a time can last forever... feels hopeful and positive and companionable as we move ahead.


Statue of Dame Roma Mitchell in Adelaide, sitting quietly, with her books...

2 comments:

  1. silence is such a precious thing ... to sit outside and be able to listen to nothing at all is a rare gift ...

    and books ... I love to dial down my hearing aids, to escape noise and dive deep into their stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silence and books, such precious times when we can engage with them both.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.