Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Pottering about

 I have had a few moments here and there to sit and think about making artwork.

I have been wanting to create several small pages for a book; thinking about interesting backgrounds to work onto and into.  I had really hoped to get this work well advanced before we head back; but somehow I doubt it.  We have been away for three days and it is amazing how much time back here gets spent doing life, yard work and life.

Nevertheless.

So I have jotted down ideas as they arrive in those half-waking moments in the night. Ideas that come roaring forward and need attention. Ideas that on waking you rush to recall and note down. They seem so right and so true. The test is if they hold up in the full waking of day .

This book is part of a pair, which I'm working on at companionable distance and via email with another artists' book maker based in the UK. Thus far we have set a few parameters and shared some papers and we have set forth into that unknowing yet challenging and wonderful space of collaboration.

Collaborations can be scary, frustrating and odd; yet for me they are most often stimulating and wonderful and humbling. I am looking forward to these books emerging; hoping that they are of good enough quality and well resolved.



My wee studio space in the cottage is proving a fine place to play and working within limitations is always good for one. Also oftentimes frustrating. I simply do not have access to a quarter (sixth? eighth?) of the things I might usually call upon.


Even my water glass is a second hand vase!


So I played with some watercolours I had, and some inks I had, and tried to see if I could make anything interesting out of them. A piece of toilet paper acted as my dauber. I'm all style. 


But I also played with some plastic wrap -  a technique I recall from decades ago but have never really put into practice, and played with bit of string.

In the end I had maybe 6 pieces that were of interest to me. Or maybe 4. 



This lovely blue is something; but not just the thing I am looking for. But nice to have met!



I don't really know if I have found what I am looking for; but at least I am testing a few things out. As ever, steps taken re never wasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.