Sunday, October 16, 2022

Introduction to Silversmithing

 All, what a treat of a day it was doing an Introduction to Silversmithing Workshop with Lindsey Gallacher in Thurso.

I had been pondering what I might make and came down on the side of a pendant. In my mind, it had two pieces, hung vertically and had contrasting textures or colours.

Close.


Lindsey gave us a great introduction and lots of options. We looked at the sorts of things people had done and achieved in previous workshops, and that visual stimulation created more thoughts, ideas and possibilities.

I selected these pieces out of the sample box - each of them had some element I responded to.


I struggled to work out which combination I might use - which two thoughts could combine well?




Nothing was saying yes! to me and I got a bit stuck. Barry said - just choose three. Simple.

Then I had to work out what size would look good; and of course, I ended up in the Goldilocks situation - this one too big (1.5cm square); this one too small (1cm square), so I went with the middle size (1.3cm square).


I knew I wanted to contrast shiny and matte; but I also wanted to try oxidising as well, so I fiddled and I faddled until something clicked.




The result absolutely thrilled me.

Barry had made a ring, which looks amazing, and he had a scrap or two left over so I was able to score a pair of stud earrings from the leftovers. Brilliant!


It was a perfect day of creativity and learning. I would highly recommend a workshop with Lindsey if you are ever up here on the North Coast of Scotland...

4 comments:

  1. Nice work Fiona! I love the interplay of the surfaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Dana - the way the light interacts with each of the surfaces is lovely - and it was great to test the ideas and have them work! Go well.

      Delete
  2. stunning work, Fiona ! And the earrings will look amazing,I'm sure !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun Annick - next time maybe letters too!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.