Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Art we have seen and some we have bought

There are a couple of lovely small galleries near us in Thurso, and one in the small locality of Skerray.

We were fortunate to see this vibrant, perspective-twisting exhibition by David Body.

I was really drawn to the angles, the simple shapes and forms and the excitingly wild and bold colours. Together they made familiar and almost monochromatic daily scenes, take on the power of a kaleidoscopic dream.




I particularly enjoyed the works where he included elements of text and collage. Love the idea of using cut out wording to describe what's in the painting - FIELD.

At first I though these birds were crosses!


And now to a beautiful piece we bought at Skerray. We were lucky that the artist Rhona Graham was attending the gallery (and the post office) on the day we visited.  The piece is called Night Swimming, inspired by the rusty ladder at Skerray Harbour.

I fell in love and have sunk deeply into it.


I love the misty moon, and the fragments of thoughts or dreams in the sky.


And I love the lower forms - rocks? a pier? a paddle?

And that beautiful rusty ladder...


It feels like a painting I will spend time with over the years. I gaze into it; I feel things; I understand parts of it - I continue to wonder about other parts...

A gorgeous new part of the cottage.

2 comments:

  1. these two will surely make you anticipate journeys to Scotland all the more ... I very much enjoyed watching David Body's video, especially how he made his seagulls ... and was surprised at how different Rhona Graham's Night Swimming is from the other pieces on her website ... I quite like your choice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is strange isn’t it how sometimes it’s the odd one out that speaks most clearly to you. I was scanning and almost missed it, so grateful I didn’t.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.