Sunday, October 9, 2022

Innerpeffray Chapel

 My last post was all about the Library at Innerpeffray; but onsite was also this Chapel. It was in the upstairs, almost mezzanine room, of the Chapel that the first Library books were stored.

I didn't know what to expect - it was during rain, we dashed across thinking yes, we should probably have a look before we go, and my breath was simply taken away. Its serenity. Its beauty. Its simplicity. A place of calm.

We were fortunate to have the space to ourselves and could observe, contemplate and absorb.

The doorway in, font by the wall.

Looking down from the altar.


Looking up towards the altar.


Alongside the altar the door and narrow spiral staircase to the 'upstairs' room.


The original Library space, from the top of the staircase.


Looking upon the Chapel from the Library space window.


At the altar end, my attention is drawn to a highly decorative, carved headstone. The carving looks naive;  or in a way, modern. Yet I stop and check - it has dates like 1678 and 1707. It must be really old. In the short time we have left, I can't come to a full enough understanding of who it is about, who may have commissioned it, who is represented. I am a wee bit baffled. Intrigued, but definitely unsure.


It seemed to be very much about a couple's children. So many children. I am still not sure.


Each child's name is carved into the stone and a figure rises above the sone to represent them. I think.


The style of the carved lettering also looks naive-modern to my eye, so I check the dates again. It still says 1707.


The play of light and shadows on this side made the figures even more interesting.


I have done no homework on the Chapel; and especially none about this headstone.  I may find that it IS a modern replica, or a modern original to commemorate a special family.  But there is a deep story within it that makes me want to know more.

2 comments:

  1. well you had to know I'd go off on a research jaunt (that was my favorite part of being a librarian: being asked questions I would never have thought to ask and then being intrigued by the answers that were found) ... so yes, this appears to be an original stone monument that resided in the graveyard for over two centuries (there is a photo dated 1950 showing it outside) ... made by the stonemason paterfamilias in tribute to his wife and ten children who predeceased him ... brought into the chapel to shield it from the elements ... I'm sure there's much more to be known, but even just this much was fascinating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thought did cross my mind Liz and thank you!!! I remain in awe of the carving and saddened to think of the ten children. It still appears so contemporary, and to think that is was done maybe three centuries ago. I will go off and do some more research but thank you for settling those thoughts in my mind. It was truly remarkable.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.