Thursday, October 20, 2022

Thursday Thoughts...

"Beauty is no quality in things themselves. It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them." 

David Hume

This is one of the truest of truths.  Beauty is not generally a notion that can be defined, reproduced and agreed upon.  I know that people and scholars and philosophers nad writers and others have tried, but it is such a personal experience. 

The things I gasp at; that take my breath away; that make me feel transported and uplifted and so glad to be alive, do not have the same effect on others.

They might walk past them, not notice them or be affronted by them.

So it is unlikely that things themselves can have beauty as an inherent and known quality. It is far more likely that we experience beauty as we look upon them - that they trigger whatever chemical release or synaptic connection that we associate with the idea of beauty.

I guess it's just another way of saying that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Altho as I tried to find if there was an originator of this phrase I should reference, I discovered this interesting article.


I find this drain cover quite beautiful. It is calming and restful to look at - the grid of dots, the patina on the metal and the concrete... Beautiful!


4 comments:

  1. maybe you could make arubbing of that lovely dot print and use it for a future project !?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An excellent idea Annick - I walk past it often so I could definitely stop one day…go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.