Sunday, February 18, 2024

The best fun - wood carving workshop

 For Barry's birthday I bought us both attendance at a 3 hour wood carving workshop in Brisbane. The tutor was Theresa Darmody and it was held at Artisan in Bowen Hills.

The goal was to make a small specimen vase and we did!

On arrival our bench positions were set up with a vice gloves and tools, and we got select our first blank.




We began by using the draw blade and it was such a delight. I was utterly mesmerised by the slow motion effective removal of large chunks of the timber.



After the draw blade, and about to begin with the carving knife. none of which I photographed I was so engrossed in whittling!


This is after sanding. And then we burnished, oiled and waxed it.


What a great bunch of results by the 8 participants in just under 3 hours!


B on the L, me on the R - our bud vases at home with some lovely dried flowers. So. Much. Fun.


I have determined I thoroughly enjoy pretty much any sort of making with my hands. Just sitting being carried away by the slow movements, the concentration and the mediation of it all.

Barry has posted his side of things here.

1 comment:

  1. I've always love the scent of wood as it is being worked ... and I imagine the draw blade would be a very satisfying tool (better than planing maybe?)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.