Thursday, February 29, 2024

Thursday Thoughts...

"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested". 

Francis Bacon

At different times in my life I have tried to read books in a kind of sequence - one literary fiction, one trashy fiction, one non-fiction and then let the cycle begin again.  I certainly consider my trashy fiction as the books to be tasted. I think both literary fiction and non-fiction can both be swallowed and or chewed and digested.

These words give a sense of the lightness of some books; and the depth and seriousness of others. Books that challenge your thinking, make you feel big feelings, or learn some great stuff are ones that you truly need to savour.

At other times my mind can only handle a light dusting, a tasting, or even as the French would say an 
'amuse bouche' - something that amuses the mouth!


This amused both me and my mouth on a recent trip to Melbourne - a square, fairy bread, lamington in in its own wee box!

2 comments:

  1. I am reading This is Happiness by Niall Williams ... so beautifully written that I intend to finish reading it first for the storyline and then again to take in the wonderful phrasing ... which I suppose is the very definition of the rare novel worthy of chewing and digesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore that book! It is so so beautiful in its writing and, the gentleness of the story is a comfortable companion too. It is one I re-read as well. Have you read Claire Keeghan Small Things Like These? A real Irish gem.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.