Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Celebrating Books Maleny - Big Book Club

 This is a week of many things. Given my quietude and time at home there hasn't been much action.

I have been busy preparing (I hope) for an interview with Kate Evans at our Big Book Club discussion on Saturday. This year around we have explored the notion "Is Irish writing have a moment?". We asked folk to read two books by Irish writers and we will discuss these in small groups. 

the queen of dirt island by Donal Ryan and the 2023 Booker Prize winner Prophet Song by Paul Lynch. Both are remarkable books and contain so much richness for thought and discussion.



After our small group discussions we gather together for a plenary session and this year we have invited back our favourite book person - Kate Evans, who co-hosts the ABC's weekly radio show The Bookshelf. Kate is a marvellous interviewer, but we really enjoyed turning things around last year and interviewing her - this time to mine her rich wealth of knowledge, understandings, and insights into Irish authors and writing.

The plan is that I do the interview, but of course we wait to make sure that I will be safe to do so.

I have read a heap of Irish writers in preparation for this event and highly recommend both of these books; and so many others...

In between times it has been about getting lot of joy from the garden - making small bunches of delight here and there to make me happy.





And watching the beautiful light...





2 comments:

  1. The flowers and light are enchanting. I've always been impressed how many great writers come from Ireland. Claire Keegan and Colm Toibin are two of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't Claire Keegans' books marvellous? I think Small Things Like These is right up there as one of my favourites of all time. We read a Colm Toibin book last year for our Historical Fiction discussion - The Magician. I love the women's voices in both these books, and had a great time reading my way through lots of other Irish author options - so many good ones!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.