Thursday, July 18, 2024

Thursday Thoughts...

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?’ Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. 

 Marianne Williamson, A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of a Course in Miracles

I imagine this quote has sat in amongst my quotes document for a decade or more. It sprang forth and caught my attention today because on my first walk of freedom (that is I tested negative to Covid) we walked to the Post Office and along the way we passed the place where I had written these words on timber many moons ago (2009).

I stopped to read what was left of the wording and some beautiful parts caught my eye. As ever the part that asks who are we to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? A good question of course, but it is the answer that we need to pay attention to - Who are we NOT to be?

I love that swift turn-around. The reversal of the premise and I have sat many times and pondered how powerful those words are; how much encouragement they offer. How much like a cheer squad for us they are.

We are all meant to shine... 

It's also in the part that says when we let our light shine, we unconsciously give permission for others to do the same - such a beautiful way of thinking about it. It takes away the me-me-me focus and suggests that yes you will do yourself a favour; but in doing so you will also help others.

There is so much in this; I should probably use it as a Thursday Thought more often.


This post from 2023 has all the links to the process, the installation and the weathering of the piece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.