Thursday, July 25, 2024

Thursday Thoughts...

"Books support us in our solitude and keep us from being a burden to ourselves". 

Jeremy Collier

Ahh, the comfort of books. I think this quote suggests that books enable us to disappear momentarily from  our life and our strife. That they can let us forget the troubles of the moment and simply be within another world, with other concerns and stories that engage us.

Books offer respite from our worries.

I also often ponder the difference between loneliness and solitude. How two circumstances may be physically the same - one is by oneself - but the experience is so subjectively different. I like that he references solitude here; it is one of my favourite places.


Solitude.

2 comments:

  1. books and solitude ... a lovely pairing in thought and real life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Liz - and I do love that watery image through the windscreen.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.