I have managed to take some steps into making - at least the initial play and explore phase, which is at least something.
I had been pondering what to wrap around the cotton reels that could unfurl. I searched online for Vintage muslin, for vintage linen, for vintage table cloths and runners. I hummed and I hahed.
And then in a spark in my head came a couple of old teatowels we have here. I oftentimes take the linen sheets we are finished with for sleeping, and cut them down into tea towels, and further down into serviettes. I also have this old wheat coloured tea towel that has some stains on it, but which is made of firmer linen and I thought I could re-use it possibly.
I am not sure how you would describe this part of this process. It is definitely in the exploration and testing phase. It is almost a proof of concept and it is definitely about pursuing ideas and not deciding too early what they will be or how they will be.
I oftentimes can rush to a conclusion - my brain sees the whole thing finished before I have even sorted out if any of it is possible; so I am trying to slow down and follow this path and that, keeping an open mind.
Must admit I like the look of the reels on the coat hangers! They would of course need to be threaded on somehow and held apart by something if I didn't want them slip sliding all over the place, but visually I am quite happy with this beginning.







.jpeg)

I love these posts, a quiet, contemplative journey in making... the wooden reels and linen strips are a quiet combination, the contrast between the roughness of the linen and the smoothness of the wood makes my fingers twitch to feel that.
ReplyDeleteI am the same with linen sheets, justifying the cost knowing they will be much more than a sheet; art and life in tandem.
They really do go well together - and they feel great so you can let your fingers know! Have some ideas around conversations with these pieces, but will have to see how they unfurl themselves. And yes I think that is the great justification for linen sheets! I sleep so much better on them - strangely enough I think they are so quiet compared to cotton. Honestly the weird things we notice...
Delete