George Carlin
I have screeds of quotes for my Thursday Thoughts - at last count there are 95 pages of both used and unused ones. I scroll through the categoryI am pondering today (Art, Life or Books) and I go back and forth until something catches me. I am truly grateful I took the time a year or so ago to sit and organise the document.
It had grown organically and I had just put all sorts of quotes in in whatever order I found them, I changed the colour of the ones that I had used but that was it and it was a very hit and miss affair to try and find a good quote from the category I was searching for. Now they are all entered into their categories and the used ones are all removed to the end of the document. Makes life that little bit easier.
I slowed at reading this one, then kept scrolling. Then I came back and wondered if I really had anything to say, maybe, so I decided I would give it a go.
I don't think I ever watched or heard George Carlin perform, so I honestly have no idea what sort of character he was.
What I take from this this quote is along the lines of those times when the world feels like it has been turned upside downwards; when you are sideswiped by a massive event and things are completely not as they should be.
It feels as if the natural order here - wolves howling and the moon silent - has been completely upended.
I like how he brought two completely different objects and their actions together, swapped them and made you feel the madness of it. The imagery or auditory(?) of the moon howling is so powerful for me. Like a rent in the universe or a jagged tear in the atmosphere. Our poor moon is howling.
For wolves to be silent also feels as if something is wrong. That they are waiting and watching. There is a tension in that notion that is a bit menacing.
It has felt a bit of late that our poor planet is howling; and I have just realised that might have been the subconscious pull towards these words today.
A moon, not howling...

No comments:
Post a Comment
I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.