Friday, September 18, 2026

Thursday thoughts...

“My head was a magpie’s nest lined with such bright scraps of information” 

Alice Munro

Oh my goodness me. It's as if Ms Munro had popped along and had a good look inside my own head!

I sometimes wonder how best to describe what it feels like on the inside of my brain. I can appear so organised, and structured and routine-oriented; and yet to me they are all just ways of dealing with the chaos and bouncing balls, and light bulbs that ricochet around in my head.

I think she has a much nicer way of describing the multitude of ideas, thoughts, reminders and images that we carry around in our heads, sometimes making connections between them; oftentimes just letting them roll around and be enjoyed.

Using a magpie's nest suggests to me a collection of things. Not quite a bower bird, but nevertheless it evokes a sense of a multiplicity of not necessarily related items all coming together. To have simply said a nest, might have made me think of coherence and structure and organisation.

Introduced bright and scraps also creates an image in my mind of a cornucopia - like a collectibles and vintage shop of wonders.

She certainly used her magpies' nest of bright scraps well.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.