Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Red thread stitching

More red thread.

Once I started using the sewing machine to stitch on paper, I then of course wanted to experiment some more. I started stitching on heavy tracing paper to see what that would do. It was really sturdy and felt strong beneath the sewing foot.  I tried to experiment beyond my tendency for straight lines and did some swirls and curves and let it just wander around basically, making tracks.




Then I remembered I had just bought some glassine paper and I thought that might be fun to try as well. It felt really different to the tracing paper - it was much lighter and tended to want to crinkle more.



At the end of each run of stitching I was able to 'extend' the stitches (lengthen the threads) so the paper sat straight(ish) again.  That was just me running my fingers together from the middle of the row to both outside ends of the row simultaneously. I now feel as if I need to do a youtube video to explain myself better!

Anyhow, the experimenting continues...

We are on a bit of a holiday now so there won't be many progress reports on this work; maybe some nice holiday snaps instead!

7 comments:

  1. I KNOW just what you mean about tracing paper..... (here's a little 'something' I prepared earlier -http://www.flickr.com/photos/rda-art/2985463577/in/photostream I'm not going back there in a hurry!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. experimenting is fun...
    hope you arrived safely...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to go places with this Fiona! Something very alluring about the translucent paper....I am dying to sew with the machine on paper I've dipped in beeswax, but clearly that would be a nightmare....a smoky malfunction for the sewing machine, I'm sure. I'm gearing myself up to pull Violet, my sewing machine, out of hiding! Enjoy your travels!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sewing machine is coming out to play Fiona!!! This looks like a great way to get some collage 'bits'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is looking wonderful!

    i've been experimenting with stitching on book pages and vellum myself lately. must be something in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ronnie - it definitely has it's moments!

    Mary Jane - yes safe and sound thanks; and it IS good to just Try, test, experiment...

    Hey Patti from my smokin' experience I would have to agree re the beeswax paper...and I love the translucency mystery too!

    Hi Jo - I say go play!

    Thank you anca gray - maybe it's in the air! Go well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Ronnie - it definitely has it's moments!

    Mary Jane - yes safe and sound thanks; and it IS good to just Try, test, experiment...

    Hey Patti from my smokin' experience I would have to agree re the beeswax paper...and I love the translucency mystery too!

    Hi Jo - I say go play!

    Thank you anca gray - maybe it's in the air! Go well.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.