Thursday, May 31, 2012

Thursday Thoughts...

“Optimist: someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it’s a cha-cha.” 


 Robert Brault 

Barry and I laughed out loud at this quote a few weeks ago; and then earlier this week I reminded him of it as it applies so pertinently to our lives at the moment.

What a great way of realising that in fact life and its ups and downs, forwards and backwards is really just a dance. And which dance doesn't ever really involve one of the partners taking a backwards step at some point? A great metaphor I have figured and great wisdom I think.

I popped over to read Robert Brault's blog and it is full of quotes and lines about life in general.

I think this holds true in our art and creative lives as well. So often we figure a disaster is a disaster. Something we attempted and failed. Something that just never fully realised all the potential we had for it in our heads. And yet, I expect with a bit of distance and time, we can recognise that sometimes these failures brought with them gifts.

We took a step backward so we could work out where to go next, or we learnt how NOT to do something, and where to put our feet next time. It's amazing to me how a simple thought or idea, expressed like this, can change my approach to a situation.

This photo (taken at Alyangula last year) reminded me how the tide comes in and goes out - it too goes backwards, and then comes forward.


14 comments:

  1. nicely put..... sending some cha cha cha vibes your way - (and some hugs for barry )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you found the quote and then remembered it when you needed to know it. Hope that made sense - it did to me! Hope Barry is home with you tomorrow x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A quote we all need to remember, especially coupled with your eloquent thoughts. Like Ronnie, sending cha cha vibes and hopes that Barry is home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quote and a great gift to all - especially coming to you at just the right time! I like to think of these alleged steps backwards as mere "course correction." I figure, if the Universe is going to go to the trouble to create a fuss or a mess guaranteed to stop you in your tracks and force you to rethink your direction, there must be a good reason! Unfortunately sometimes we do actually require a disaster to slow down and pay attention. All the best to you and B! I can feel him getting stronger all the way across the globe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A cha-cha .... that got a laugh out of me too. It almost sounds like fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfect quote!! I'm sending good thoughts to you and Barry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cha-cha is fine, but you and Barry usually ROCK! Well, sedately so. Hope all is on track again soon. Speaking about creative disasters, don't know who said this but.. "there is no such thing as a bad painting, just an unfinished one".

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a wonderful quote. Thanks. Hoping B is on the mend. Ax

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wise quote and post... with a good twist of the cha-cha... ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true - changing the way we view something can make all the difference. Thank you for this post. I hope Barry is recovering and send best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fiona....yes, the perfect quote. And your Thursday thoughts, as usual, are right on the money. Here's to you and Barry....a lively dance....after Barry's full recovery, that is!!!! Thinking of you both, with a warm smile!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful quote, and one we should all remember. Thank you. Best wishes to you and Barry, I see from his blog that he is home again which is great news.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all very much - apologies for a missing in action lack of response.

    It is a great reminder to me and I expect is one of those quotes/idea I will travel through life with. Barry is on the mend, albeit slowly, but getting stronger each day.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.