Thursday, April 19, 2018

Thursday Thoughts...

"A writer only begins a book. A reader finishes it". 

Samuel Johnson

This seems to me to be a bit like a work of art - where the conversation begins with the artist; and the viewer responds.

From what Samuel Johnson suggests, it as if there is a book, and then it branches out each time a reader reads it, because they bring themselves and their experiences to it. And so, in a way the book has a slightly different ending, or a slightly different middle or few chapters for each person as they will read it slightly differently.

Perhaps, in doing so, they enable a more fulsome telling of the book.

I quite like the notion of the writer beginning, and the reader completing.


A huge tree in NZ's North Island, branching to the sky...

2 comments:

  1. I am rereading Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse a book that transformed my life when I was 18 and has reassessed my soul with it's shapeshifting magic becoming a different story with every reading through the decades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds profound Mo - what an impact it has had; and how important the re-visiting...go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.