Sunday, November 4, 2018

Lettering left and right

My artist statement says that nearly all the work I do involves text somehow - and that is so true!  I love discovering new ways for creating letters, words and meaning and recently Barry bequeathed me a tool that he had been given ages ago.  It's a tattooing type tool and is limited in that it only allows for four letter words, but I did have a play with it and think there is definitely potential there.




I was hoping to be able to do both the poke in bit, as well as the poke out bit (technical terms!) and so I put the letters in back to front a bit like letterpress and discovered that no, its not possible and what I will be able to do is the poke in bits!



And a couple more of my favourites as I work thru the sample book prints.


And seriously, one of the first typefaces I ever got  - accidentally of course a part of something else - and which I have loved since Day 1.  After several years of not knowing what it was; I asked Instagram and David Wakefield replied with all I needed to know - what a gem.  And so now it is filed under Elongated Anglo Saxon, rather than Decorative Gothic!


I do love it so.


And to use up the last skerrick of ink I proofed a couple of book ornaments we had picked up in an op shop in Scotland.  Fun I think - and am now pondering printing book plates...but can't work out how to make the stickiness, but somebody somewhere might know.



All in all, a good few days pottering abound in the studio!

6 comments:

  1. Playing with words is such a wondrous exercise - your four letter restriction immediately had me juggling: HAIL HERO HELP HOPE HOME. And that's just the Hs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Olga I know! I haven't really sat down to work my way through things - was just testing this and that and got all excited by what I could manage without much thought, so there is much excitement ahead I think. Go well.

      Delete
  2. This got the gears meshing in my brain ... that there are (potentially) symmetrical letters like A I O U Y H M T V W X

    And letters that (might) could be turned upside down like E B C D K S

    From which a fair number of four-letter words (ha!) could be made to "poke out"

    Best of all would be creating some palindromes ... WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Liz, that is great. You have taken it further than I did - I looked at the H and thought it could be used, and an A, but left it there...so the challenge is now to make some words of the symmetrical ones and poke in and poke out! Sadly I think palindromes will be beyond me as I only have one letter of each, but how cool would that challenge have been? Go well and enjoy!

      Delete
  3. love the elegance of the elongated letters

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.