Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Rescuing aprons

A long time ago I bought a couple of cheap calico aprons with the plan of printing on them sometime. Having done my tests and trials about printing on fabric, I thought the time was right to finally print.

So, paying attention to my new rules, I washed them first.  This proved disastrous and the entire binding fell apart and pulled holes in all sorts of places.

Did I mention they were cheap?

I put them aside sadly thinking oh well, but then decided there was an option to attempt a rescue mission.  I removed the binding and cut them in half, turning them into half aprons that would tie around the waist.  They had this great set of pockets on the front for pens and brushes and things so I was lucky that stayed intact and it definitely made them worth saving.

I set some large Italian type in the bed of a proofing press and did some proofs.

It felt like I spent so long proofing for just two aprons, but I wanted to give them the best chance.


It took a bit of fiddling to get the letters printing relatively evenly - every time I attempted an adaptation it shifted something else ink wise, so in the end I did a fair job and decided to print anyway. Life is too short, especially when I didn't even know if it would work!

In a way, I just love that the type has been used so much or hand hewn that it isn't perfect.  It tells a story and shows the hand made nature of it all.


Modifications first with some card, then later with some paper.



The new proofing press allows for variable pressure which is great, as Italian type is a different height to regular type.  Here I have a pre-loved piece of 300gsm paper to provide a tiny touch of pressure.  Heavier card made it impossible to roll through.


The calico apron went down and I was happy wth the pressure achieved when I saw this on lifting the  protection paper.


The reveal - photo courtesy of Barry. See the fab little pockets on the front?


And so to drying and curing.  Still hot and dry here so plenty of drying opportunities.  Once again outside the studio in the gravel seemed perfect.


Using gravel in the corners to keep them from being carried away if the wind blows.


It looks kinda cute with them, the rusting typewriter and the creeping pumpkin vine...


After they have dried, cured and been washed again, then the binding sewn back on as the waistband tape for tying I'll show you them gain. Fingers are crossed.

8 comments:

  1. These are fab and I love the pockets. Calico is a useful fabric but a bit peculiar to wash - so many different weights of calico all called the same thing. You seem to have it nailed though and got it ironed smooth too! ( I was told once to freeze it to get out the wrinkles.) Go girl indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. I agree re calico - it comes in all sorts of shapes and sizes so to speak - some light, some heavy; some smooth, some rough...I now have s super duper steam machine as an iron and it worked it magic upon it. I am intrigued by the notion of freezing - who knew!?!?! Go well.

      Delete
  2. the pockets!

    how awesome that Barry was there to capture the reveal ... what a great team you two are

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for pockets Liz - the real reason I had to persevere! And yes, B was a great production assistant in more ways than one. I do love being able to get that moment of the reveal...magic! Go well.

      Delete
  3. love these and look forward to seeing a photo of you wearing one in action in the studio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully all shall be well Mo and that will happen. They caught in a downpour (10minutes but yay) so they re really being put to the test. Back out in the sun to dry now and toes are now crossed as well as fingers! Go well.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. And you are so kind! It is fun trying to save and re-use things . I doesn't always work, but its definitely worth a try! Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.