Thursday, January 16, 2020

Thursday Thoughts...

"I have a real need to express elation at how interesting and beautiful things are and to see them arranged…I work with things I rather like and move them about until they recall the feeling of an actual moment in the landscape; then I’ve won". 

Rosalie Gascoigne

I do find Rosalie's words often reflect my way of thinking or an experience I have had.  With this one, it was the notion of arranging things I like until they recall a feeling.  Mine may not be so directly related to a moment in the landscape; but the arrangement of them does oftentimes re-create a sensational or feeling. And at that point, I know.

The other element I love about these words is the real need to express elation at how beautiful things are.  How uplifting is the word elation?!? What a glorious sentiment and emotion; what a fabulous feeling to express.

My elation at seeing how beautiful simple things can become when arranged is often a quiet heart-lift rather than an expressed trumpet of joy.  But I do love that quiet moment of recognising and responding to the beauty in their simplicity, and the tug on my heart as I gaze at them.


And so it is with my pegs of threads...


8 comments:

  1. So lovely. They are like women but in an elemental way- like cave drawings or simple sculpture. Beautiful gentle colours enhance that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise - you can see a sort of history of simplicity and women within them can't you? I love them!

      Delete
  2. what a gentling post ... so appreciated in the midst of madness that passes for governing in these challenging times

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In so many ways there is ugliness out there Liz, and its nice to find restful spots to pause isn't it? Glad you enjoyed it, and I love that word gentling!

      Delete
  3. love the quote and your response gathering the colours from nature carefully wound and documented with such grace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely quote Mo for how so many of us feel when we are gathering I think. And yes to gentle colours from nature!

      Delete
  4. F - I love these words - arranging things found or made to create a sense of place or statement. The pegs and threads are so evocative of places. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the words B - they describe how we all feel I think as we collect and play with our finds.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.