Thursday, March 25, 2021

Thursday Thoughts...

“We found in books the divine plop, the joy of settling down deeply into something, worlds and realities greater than our troubled minds” 

Anne Lamott

The notion of a divine plop.

And yes, I understand and relate to it so well!  With the inimitable style of a good writer, Ms Lamott manages to put two words together that would not normally be alongside one another, and they evoke the perfect sense of settling in with a good book. The divine plop indeed.

I sometimes think the definition of a book should somehow, somewhere, include the word escape.  The focus and attention we offer a book, a story, or a narrative means that we go away in our minds, that we do settle down under the doona of life and can move away from our troubled minds.

It is often with a sense of wonder or astonishment that I raise my head after a deep reading session and realise the world is there. The ordinary surrounds me.  The small tasks are still waiting.  I have been far away.

I wonder if next time I will hear that plop?


2 comments:

  1. the joy of reading ... and re-reading (which is why I almost always buy Anne Lamott's books to keep on the shelf by my bed ... her novels being the exception to the rule as I much prefer her real life stories)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dip into Anne Lamott in much the same way Liz - along wth Rebecca Solnit. There are moments of wisdom which you find on a second or third reading, that weren't as pertinent the first times around...go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.