Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Website update and WIP

I still haven't managed to photograph my Hear Me Roar book - it is an awkward size and shape and I need the right weather to get it outside. Instead, here are a couple of other things that have been happening in amongst So Much Food...

I have recently updated the Gallery page on my website.  On this page I am trying to give folk a look at some of my favourite pieces (new and old) and then link back here to the blog, so people can get a feel for the process and my thoughts; what I was hoping to achieve; what I did and how I did it.  It seems to me to add richness to the whole image thing that way.

So I have just added in A Subversive Stitch, Peace Mends the World and Silence Helps No-one.  Three quite different books; with different subjects, different materials and different forms. Hope you enjoy visiting.


I got a call the other day from a bloke at Dad's church - something about lettering on a rotating star - so I said come on over and let me have look at what you want...

The star is about 2m wide and they want the words Rejoice and Joy on alternating points of the star; with a square of extra writing in the middle. There is some sort of mechanism involving pulleys and cogs and drivers on the back, so the star will also turn slowly...

Clearly this is a "needs to be done pretty much now" kind of job, given the season.

So I tested which pens might work on the spray painted star. As ever, not all markers are created equal and there was a clear winner.


I chose simplicity for speed; so I printed the words out using a computer font and then had to work out how to position them on the points.


I drew lines through the midpoint of the star's points; and thru the lettering. Then I lined them up. Carbon paper beneath and I transferred the lettering by tracing.


Dead centre.


 The writing around the square had to be smaller in size by a long shot and it took a few goes for it to fit.


It was also taped into positions and transferred with the carbon paper.


All the lettering has been transferred; but of course I discovered I didn't have enough of the high quality markers in different widths to start the job, so have had to wait until I could get my hands on them.  But at least I am ready to roll when next I can.

Life is never dull in the studio that's for sure. There is such a variety things that fill my days - from websites to rotating stars; to photographing finished work; and playing with the next idea...

2 comments:

  1. your new gallery page has confirmed what I already knew: I want/need to read your blog from start to finish ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a lovely thing o say Liz - thank you. The blog is such a resource for me; such a good external memory drive or something. It reminds me of so many things; and the amazing processes one gets involved in anyhow one gets from here to there...

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.