Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Ahhhh... Letraset

 I have had the chance to pull out some of the lovely old and used Letraset I have bought and been gifted.

I have a small book in mind and have been trying to work out how to say what I want to say.  It came to me that glassine paper might do what I wanted to do - it has a shiny surface and can be a bit crinkly and crackly...


It is also a bit see-through and the light plays with it in a very pleasing manner. So being me, I chose to go with the bits of white Letraset I had and to see how they might work...



Must say, I was pretty happy with it!

The Letraset is old and a bit dry; and a bit temperamental and all of that; but oh how I love it.  You can have no idea how much it makes my heart sing!

I even tested out if my emboss machine mark would work with it and I can happily report that it does.


But oh my goodness I make a mess; and have pretty much taken up a couple of tables in the studio without  any effort whatsoever.




So things are coming along with this - I am learning to appreciate it when the Letraset transfers like a dream; and to go with the flow when it is a bit tacky and broken.  

Simultaneously I am trying to work out what the attraction is; what is it that I am finding so enjoyable and pleasurable about working with it?  Am jotting down a few thoughts and will hopefully find my way to understanding what its all about.

10 comments:

  1. Glassine is fabulous, just remember to spray your letraset with some fixative, because Glassine is usually what we use between print sheets because it’s essentially non-stick. Also, embrace the flaws with Letraset because perfection is the default these days and imperfection is much more interesting :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip C - feeling a bit tentative after my last outing with fixative!!! (see post before this one). I shall do a very light dusting...
      And yes; it is something about the fragility, imperfection and vulnerability of the letraset that I am loving; mixed in with a bunch of other things. Thanks SO much for sharing some of the stash x

      Delete
  2. I must say the sheets of Letraset must be easier to wrangle than print drawers ... perhaps that's the attraction ;)

    on a more serious note, I can see why you are happy with the white-on-glassine ... likewise the embossing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MUCH easier to wrangle Liz! I am really loving both the letraset and the glassine; and in two others have added in black and white and they really pop! Today I fixative-d them with no mishaps, so that was a mighty relief. Go well.

      Delete
  3. F - great work - having been part of the earlier fixative fiasco I agree with a tentative testing approach. Clean desk space now!!!!! B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all worked out fine in the end with the fixative B! What a relief that was...now too wrk out how to bind them, and package them and...

      Delete
    2. oooo ... couldn't help but imagine the turnabout of having blank sheets of paper in between the printed glassine sheets

      Delete
    3. The glassine offers so much opportunity - the see through nature; the hidden; the crinkle; the weight...I keep getting ides for this and for that too! Hopefully I will land some where soon! grin.

      Delete
  4. beautiful, amazing that the old letraset sticks to glassine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely isn't it Mo? And some of it is very old - and dry and broken up when it goes on; others are almost perfect. I love the who know? moments!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.