Sunday, December 19, 2021

Hear Me Roar

 The title of my latest book; hinted at back here...

Having made my set of feminist mini posters or postcards; I thought it might be nice to somehow bring the A4 posters into a book of sorts.  To see them all together with their powerful messages in bold and bright colours felt like a good thing to try.

I fiddled and faddled in my head for a bit; and then despite my preference for not using an accordion fold in an artists' book, I chose that format.  My reticence is that with an accordion book you oftentimes see the whole book at once.  I like to build my way through the reading of an artists' book; building narrative if you like.  I like the book form to lead you somewhere; to tell a story; to build on what has been; to encourage you to anticipate what comes next.  Sometimes an accordion feels like a bit of a blunt instrument to me! ta da! Here it all is!

But I figured that the posters aren't necessarily leading you anywhere - to a final conclusion so to speak - they are statements on their own and could afford to be read as a whole.

I also thought that being seen all at once would make for the kind of big statement I think they can make; so on balance there I went.

Given they are each A4 size, and there are 7 of them plus two covers they do take up a rather lot of space; and do not make for easy photographing.

Outside on Friday. Lovely how the sunlight lets the embossing on the title page be seen.






Back inside and lying down flat...




It is also true that the book can be displayed like a star...





And it can also just have the pages turned like a book...

Here is a short video of the cover and the title page as I opened the book.

I am very happy to have the 7 posters all together now and in their own book.  I am sure the book will have an impact somewhere, sometime,  when it is displayed open wide - lots of food for thought I hope.

And by way of background...here is the story behind each poster - Enjoy! 

FEMINISM back by popular demand – we need it more than ever and this was one of the many fabulous posters at the women’s marches. 

Abuse of Power – Australian of the Year Grace Tame has named it – the common thread through so many sexual offences, from harassment, to grooming children and rape. 

Enough is Enough! – the spirit of the women’s marches; Australian women have had enough. 

NOT just a daughter – When the Prime Minister of Australia has no understanding of, or empathy for, victims of an alleged rape in Parliament House and can only begin to comprehend when his wife suggests he think about it as if it had happened to one of his daughters. Understanding should be for all women; not just the PM’s daughters. 

I’m Speaking – During the Vice Presidential Debate in 2020; Kamala Harris had a very difficult path to tread. As a highly intelligent woman of colour, she had to be firm, friendly and fair; and could not afford to ever look angry or too smart. She used these words whenever the VP began to speak over her and they were pitch perfect. 

Believe Her – Given that only 2% of sexual assault claims are found to be fallacious or mischievous; our starting point should be to believe victims. 

Nevertheless, she persisted – When Senator Elizabeth Warren was being shut down by Leader of the Senate Mitch McConnell; she continued to speak. McConnell later said “She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted” and it became a cry for women everywhere to persist.


6 comments:

  1. F- this is one of the very best - so powerful. Love the outdoor photoshoot, the crac and the tiny video. Great. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I most like the angle of the first image, in which your book looks monumental ... and having recently tried (unsuccessfully) to video Moon Myth, I can fully appreciate your clip

    P.S. it's interesting to note that I read "not just a daughter" in a different sense ... as a woman's statement about herself: "I'm not just a daughter (or a wife), I am an artist (or actor, scientist, novelist, etc etc)"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz - I went back and looked at the photo and yes! The angle creates a sense of imperiousness and majesty! You would have laughed at the videos where I tried to do things and my feet got in the way; then I jerked the camera around too much - so funny. Your response To NJAD has been the response of many - my Dad included - he said to me "you are so much more". So I think I am good with that - my poster was an angry response; and yet it tells a beautiful more comforting truth as well. Go well.

      Delete
  3. Although I like seeing all the variations, Liz is right about the first photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jen - the perspective gives it a lot of power. It makes me think I'd like to build one 2m high and have it in a public place! Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.