Thursday, March 24, 2022

Thursday Thoughts...


"I called it ‘Scrub Country’ because to me it has the randomness and relaxed air and the quality of colour which I think is much more typical of the Australia I know than any of those ochres and oranges so often used. I have let air through because we see a lot of filtered light, random pattern and carelessness in the Australian landscape".

Rosalie Gascoigne

I love looking back at Rosalie Gascoigne's work and a short search of her name on the blog shows some of her wonderful and inspiring pieces - they often appear in Thursday Thoughts, and also following seeing her work in exhibitions.

The part where she talks about letting air through absolutely resonates with me - our eucalyptus leaves often leave air between them, little gaps, slivers of light dancing through, random shadows at play. And I just love how she describes the carelessness in the Australian landscape!

Pondering her choice of words, I can see what she means. The Australian bush and landscape often look haphazard, a bit random and lacking in order. But it is ours, just as it is and it is beautiful.

Her colours here also take me straight back to the bush - with the blue sky, the grey and green of subdued foliage, sparks of bright sunshine. 

I think one of her great strengths was spending time with the words that connected her to her work. Her titles were often so apt; concise, but demonstrating a depth of understanding.  And then her explanations cover so much descriptive ground.



And then the Mallee Scrub, which is a long way from where she lived and worked, but this is scrubby country as we know it.



All quite different yet kind of the same as the Highlands...


Armadale Bay.

4 comments:

  1. I smile thinking of you there ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good to be back, making friends with the landscape once again, looking slowly…ahhh such balm for the soul.

      Delete
  2. I'm always entranced by your photos of the Australian landscape and flora. And Scotland, too. May you have grand days there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Stephanie - our plants are a bit wild and our landscape everything from lush to tough and dry, a big island of contrasts. Our Scottish landscape is different but beats with a twinned heart I feel. Our days have indeed been grand thus far! Go well.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.