Thursday, March 10, 2022

Thursday Thoughts...

"A satisfied life is better than a successful life. Because our success is measured by others, but our satisfaction is measured by our own soul, mind, and heart". 

 Unknown

Always a bit of a trick when a quote's author is unknown, but my sense is that this one's author is in fact unknown (by the interweb at least).

But isn't it wonderful to be able to make the distinction?  There is such a difference to be felt and experienced between success and satisfaction, especially when considered in this way.

Whether it is measured by ourselves or others, success seems to be a comparison against something that has been defined or set or established using some form of external measure. Even if we are measuring our own success; we are generally reference external things as our guides. It feels much more about measuring up; it feels more like a tick or flick box - you've succeeded or you haven't.

Satisfaction on the other hand is far less tangible and can only be measured by yourself I think.  It seems to me to be a combination of wellbeing, gratitude and acceptance. And I daresay many more things, but they come to mind first. It can feel like a big breath out; a sigh.  A loosening and relaxing of our muscles - life is good, just as it is and I am more than satisfied with it.


I get immense satisfaction from being able to bring flowers into the house each and every day.

2 comments:

  1. As a long time reader, but not commenter, I feel it is long past due to say how greatly I admire your work and what you so thoughtfully post. Thank you for sharing so much beauty – it is very gratefully received by me (I live on the coast of Northern California). Your posts have given me much to reflect upon and provided a great deal of inspiration! Thank you, Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Stephanie - so lovely to know you have been reading, and even nicer to hear from you! Thanks for your kind words. It feels like such a necessary combination somehow to acknowledge and recognise sadness and fear and family abuse and sexism; and at the same time to find and share beauty and gratitude and care and concern. Its a constant learning for me - to find the balance - and to explore it all in my art with all its ups downs and turnarounds! Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.