Thursday, March 31, 2022

Thursday Thoughts...

“Some people are uncomfortable with silences. Not me. I’ve never cared much for call and response. Sometimes I will think of something to say and then I ask myself; is it worth it? And it just isn’t.”  

Miranda July

I can't always track down the back story of the person to whom a quote is attributed, and this is one of those funnier moments. I had never heard of Miranda July - I just liked the quote.  So I went in search of her and found she is all manner of successful things and many folk love her and many folk don't love her and many an article is written about this thing that she seems to annoy people, and also make other people happy. Polarising is the word of choice it appears. I felt like, whatever.

Returning to the quote!

I oftentimes think there is a great sense of self; and perhaps strength to be able to sit with silence.  To not feel compelled to respond; to say your piece; to fill the space with words of 'comfort'. It is hard to just sit with silence.

Sometimes of course silence is the best response; sometimes it is all we can manage in the face of some horrible things or exasperating comments. Sometimes silence can be used as a weapon. Sometimes silence occurs simply because we are floundering, having had the breath knocked out of us by a callous verbal attack.

So silence can be many things.  I think she probably just means those awkward moments, the social chitchat whereby we all add in an anecdote; or comment on the weather, or ask what somebody does for a living, or where they come from...

In those circumstances, in public settings where it's all a bit of a nonsense, I would really like to be able to just sit quietly with the silence and not feel compelled to participate, and for this to be OK with folk and not have me labelled rude or arrogant or standoffish! Sigh.  


My favourite kind of silence... taken from the cove at the end of our road.

6 comments:

  1. This paraphrase came to me ...

    "I’ve never cared much for call and response. Sometimes I will think of something and say it ... and then I ask myself; was it worth it? And it just wasn’t."

    and so often I wonder, as I sit in the swirl of chatter in a restaurant, at a gallery opening, or during a live music performance (the worst), "what the heck are they all talking about ... why can't they just be in the moment?"

    in light of all that, I too wish/hope others might "stop to listen deeply with the silence"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How I wholeheartedly agree with you Liz! For all our blether about mindfulness, we seem to find it hard to sit and simply be. In and With silence. I find most silences really companionable. At times, like you,I know I speak and think later “really?”. Here’s to bring quiet…

      Delete
  2. Listen to the silence.
    It sometimes
    Shares the secrets that
    Words will try to hide,"
    Anita.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh this I love! How powerful it is to be reminded that words can act as shields and defences to hide behind. Rather than sitting listening to the silence. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. empty room open window
    a meadowlark sings
    into the silence


    Spring has finally arrived in earnest, weaving the air with birdsong and silences.

    Hello.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! They are such lovely words and I am sorry I am so late. The silence that sit behind the bird song are such happy and full silence s. Go Well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.