Sunday, February 26, 2023

Taking thoughts places

 Tidying the studio has seen me holding and handling some things that have been tucked away for a long time. Oftentimes only because other things needed to be put away in the drawers or cupboards where they rested and I get momentarily distracted.

And so it has been with these rulers. I have collected these gorgeous things for years - picking them up at garage sales, secondhand shops, vintage shops or wherever they may be. I have never understood the longing, nor have I really ever known how I might use. them

For some reason I just love them.

For the first time I kind of sorted them to see if there were any that matched. A number of them are broken, so they weren't pairable; some were singular in style, so again no pairs. But I did find some where this goes with that kind of thing.


I have always loved the pairing of timber and metal and fine finish to them.




And here, where the metal has gathered patina over the years.


The flip side with lots of lovely metal markings. 


But I digress of course. The point of the exploration was not their beauty, but to see if they also offered some form of utility.

I wondered if in their fully closed state, they could somehow hold pages.

So I tested them with the thinnest of paper, using some sticky notes I had on my desk (where I could find them!!!)


Yes, they would close.


I kept adding pages until I reached this point - 8 sheets of very thin paper.

 
You can see how that looks as it closes.


And this is how they make the ruler appear when closed.


It looks like a bigger gap than it feels, and my sense is that I could probably add 8 pieces of paper within and make some kind of a book. The pages would be long and narrow, and I would need to test if 8 is really possible if they are fully overlapping each other rather than the partial overlap I used to count the number of pages. That's the next test.

I am also not sure if I need a pair, but that did offer a starting point.

No idea where this is headed but it was great to finally try a few things out.

6 comments:

  1. they are lovely indeed, and so will the end result be ! xxxAnnick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annick - they are sooooo lovely! I am hoping I can make something worthy out of them; it will be small and simple, but I think it could be nice. We shall see! Go well.

      Delete
  2. and here is another coincidence ... in a similar vein, I have collected folding carpenter rulers, one of which was a lovely shade of green ... I say "was" because in our house they yielded to Don's saw and the resulting bits found their way into assemblages, including a series of gradually larger bits that were drilled in the middle and stacked onto a vintage receipt spike, yielding a lovely miniature Christmas tree ... although we have yet to imagine how to use the orphaned metal ends

    which is why I'm especially looking forward to seeing how your ruled books progress, wondering what sort of story might hang from them ... perhaps they will inspire some further creative imaginings here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are just the most delightful of things Liz! And I can imagine how perfectly a chopped up green one made a Christmas tree. Did it spin around the spike? Also looking forward to being creative with them - but will start with a book, which I guess is kind of creative, but very much in my wheelhouse. Go well.

      Delete
  3. When they are together I am reminded of the work of Rosalie Gascoigne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too Jo something about the bringing together of timber bits in a lovely composition. I have often wondered if they might become a border or frame or something; or simply get chopped up and made into some sort of assemblage...I have plenty so I don't have to sort it all out just now; but I am thinking my first go will be a book.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.