Thursday, February 2, 2023

Thursday Thoughts...

“You learn for yourself not for others, not to show off, not to put the other one down/ learning is your secret, it is all you have, it is the only thing you can call your own. nobody can take it away…” 

Louise Bourgeois

I have been fortunate to see a number of Louise Bourgeois' works in recent times and they are truly wonderful and unique.

This quote of hers about learning also comes at a time when I am doing my planning for the year; and where I have included "spend more time in education/learning" as one of my goals.

Of all the things that I think should be done for the right reasons - learning is right up there. At different points in my life I have looked across the way at friends or colleagues and seen all their qualifications, their courses, their diplomas, and their achievements and have felt a little bit as if I was letting my side down. 

Somehow comparing what others were learning and achieving felt like I was under-achieving.

I have also sometimes felt as if I am a fraud, having the temerity to call myself an artist or maker, when I have no art training, or fine arts qualifications. I have never properly studied ART.

But I have been a lifelong learner, a gleaner, a researcher, a quiet digger into new ideas and past histories. An explorer of genres, a seeker of deeper understandings. 

And sometimes I have attended courses and workshops where I have learned new skills and developed new ways of seeing or doing.

Each time I have done this, for myself and not to compare or equate with anybody else, I have gained so much.

Always. You must learn for yourself.


My attempt at skeleton Roman Capitals at the top, working on getting letter forms and spacing right. Bottom is the letterforms traced, with the correct spacing. 

Ancora Imparo - I am still learning. Michelangelo.

4 comments:

  1. this is such a wonderful post ... so often I find myself saying "always I am learning" ... and I think back to my library days, how I would say "I can't believe I get paid to do this" ... learning is a joy in all ways ... and learning from others is the bedrock reason for my daily sorties into blog-land ... thank you for all you have contributed to my learning over the years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To know the utter and complete joy oflearning Liz! What a wonder it is to be able to make your way through the world with a keen desire to learn, to explore, to develop, to investigate. I think I have worked out that I am not likely to ever be an expert in anything, but I love love love learning! Go well.

      Delete
  2. This is me... no formal training yet always striving to learn and try. It's interesting how on one hand people often think being an artist is an innate skill, not a learned one and yet with no formal learning or degree it feels like a questionable title - rather contradictory isn't it?
    I've read your blog for several years and never questioned once what your "credentials" might be... they are here on this page, in your work and your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure there are many amongst us and we make a good club! Your thoughts about the contradictory nature of it are great - and so right. People say "I'm not an artist" both when they don't feel creative; and when they do create but somehow don't live up to some weird standard in their own head! Right there is a conundrum. And thank you for your kind words about my making and creating...there are now parts of my world where I feel quietly confident that I can call myself an artist/maker... go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.