Sunday, March 5, 2023

The Shape of Things II bibs and bobs

 My book has made it Annwyn in the UK whilst hers is yet to arrive here, so I thought I might show some of my workings towards the second book in the series; then be able to show both of them together when it lands; and then give the full run down on the making later on as well!

I am not pre-empting too much here as Annwyn has already opened and read the book; but here are a few things that hint at what it became.

Some layout and design ideas.


Some text and paper combo ideas


Whoooo - cutting out that space was way too much!


I needed to look for not-transparent papers to use.


You can see that I was trying to use the lettering style I had recently developed and played with when doing Brody's online course.

When I'm making books as part of an exchange or collaboration, I oftentimes try to make reference to what was going on at the time, such as this workshop lettering style placing me (and the book's making) very much in the first part of 2023... Like when I used the southern sky constellations which were in the sky at the time we were making these books, in this book Starry Starry Night...when I added my bits to Susan's beautiful pages.


And bits left over and waiting to be re-used.

These tiny pieces made me wonder when is a scrap ready to be scrapped?

And then the other day as we walked into town, leaves had fallen and stained the relatively new concrete.  I love how they left their mark, and added an organic touch to a tough urban surface.

So many folk try to make this transfer happen on fabric and paper - and here Nature just does it ever so naturally...



4 comments:

  1. Nice work, Fiona ! And don't throw away the scraps, please! They're amazing ! Annick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have squirrelled away so many of these scraps Annick! I am quite happy with how the lettering worked out and enjoyed thinking my way through what I wanted to achieve. I will have to wait until Annwyn's book arrives to share the full story tho... go well.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the link back to Starry Starry Night, which was a time before I found my way here ... I also went to Susan's blog to see her side of the collaboration ... an amazing journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, that collaboration was remarkable and a special one. It was a joy and something we were both proud of. So many beautiful books emerged and we explored collaboration in all of its guises...

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.