Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Burning the bundle

After our few days away I had a day where could I lock myself in the studio and get a proper run at things; which hasn't happened in over  month. 

It felt so good.

One of my goals was to have some quiet and focussed time to work on the burning of the bundle. I had had intermittent moments here and there to practise with this and that; but I knew I would need steadiness to get the burning right for the final piece. 

Because it matters.

As part of my exploration of home for my exhibition in Scotland, I am preparing works around the dramatic Clearnces of people from their homes along the Strathnaver River near where our cottage is.

This piece is based on the testimony of one of the folk who were cleared from the Strathnaver back in about 1817. Aged 89 in 1883, Angus Mackay from Ceann-na-coille stated:

"My friends, and several of the townspeople endeavoured to obey this cruel summons, and carried their effects down to the river's side. Here they formed a kind of raft, whereon was placed all their furniture, farm implements, clothes, etc., in fact all their worldly possessions, except their cattle. Then they took shelter, and anxiously awaited the rising of the river to enable them to float the raft down the stream towards their new home.

Soon, however, the furious burners came, and in spite of the poor people's entreaties and promises, the raft was easily set on fire, and before the party left the ground it was all in ashes along the banks of the river".

The cruelty was monumental.

And so I began.

I started with a bunch of hand made envelopes.

I lit a candle and began dipping the papers in and out, and over the flame...

I wondered how many to do.

And when there seemed to be enough, I tied them with the string I had singed and smoked before.

And then I added some more bits. I think it is done now.

For part of the display I want to include some scattered charred and burnt bits, and a small pile has begun.


So I hope I am honouring the experience of some of these folk in this small way.

1 comment:

  1. F - a very powerful piece to reflect such a horrendous act of brutality by those clearing the people from their farmlands. B

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.