Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thursday Thoughts...

I begin with an idea and then it becomes something else
Pablo Picasso

How often does this simple statement ring true in the development of a piece of art?  Whilst I often start with a clear idea in my head of where I am going and what I will be producing, there are so many opportunities to branch out, follow another line of thought, explore something, respond to a moment of accidental magic, or go beyond what I thought it would be. So often the process of doing, making, creating produces a result brighter and better than I imagined it.

At other times of course, the realisation of what was in my mind a rather wonderful and exciting thing in fact turns out to be a somewhat dull, bland, forgettable notion once executed.

Either way, it is rare for me to finish exactly where I planned to finish when I began. The joy of exploration and sense of being led by the ideas and not your consciousness make the art journey such an enjoyable adventure.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, a wonderous journey indeed xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, but how wonderful to take those side paths. Lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "the journey is the destination" -dan eldon and probably a couple thousand other wise folk.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.