Saturday, July 9, 2011

Book Art Object - nearing completion

I am quite excited than in amongst it all last week I actually got time to sit down and get down and nearly finish my BAO books!  I hope that by the end of this week I will actually have them in the post to people which will be a big relief for me and for Ronnie (who needs them for the display at the Impact 7 Conference in Melbourne in September).

It has been quite a challenge for me to consider how to produce an edition of 15 or so books, when what I mostly do is pour all my love and attention into doing a single, one-off book - a unique edition.

There is the initial question about what do I want to do? Do I want to do a  rendition - i.e. reproduce the poem in full; or do I want to do a response to the poem - i.e.my interpretation of it?

Having determined the content of the work I then had to think through the materials - what is readily available, reasonably cheap if I am making 15 of them, how archival will they be? Then I had to think through what it would look like and how readily that would reproduce; and of course what skills would be needed to reproduce it and would I have them! I also wanted to make sure I didn't trick myself into doing a super-complicated binding or structure that would take me days to or weeks to finish 15 versions of.

It has been fascinating and I haven't had the time to learn all the things I wanted to learn on the way through, but I am nearly finished and for that I am grateful.  It is a fabulous project to be involved with and I am sure the final books from all the participants will be exciting, wonderful and different. I already have two in my hot little hands - stunning!

Here are some sneak peek shots of me at work...



6 comments:

  1. it looks amazing and very much YOU!
    Can't wait to see it finished...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fascinating Fiona. I'm looking forward to the final results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i, too, struggle with editions, far preferring unique books. the lettering looks lovely--

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Anna - I hope they feel like me; I think they do...

    Thanks Jo - hopefully I'll be able to post soon, once they are posted and folk have received them.

    Velma - I agree entirely. It's such a different kettle of fish; but one I am glad I have had a chance to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Heather - it has a simplicity to it I think...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.