Sunday, January 26, 2014

A Letter a Week begins again...

I missed doing my second alphabet for A Letter a Week last year, but have started on time this year and am looking forward to the challenge.

This alphabet is a little bit odd, but I have been wanting to play with the idea for ages, so here I go!

The story begins with our visit to Japan last year, where on our first day our friend and interpreter Hiro Kato san offered me a gift surprise. He wasn't sure  I would like them and he hoped it would all be OK and I was sure it would be.

He gave me 500 coloured pencils in beautiful boxes of 25.  Whilst it made packing to come home a bit interesting, I was pretty excited to have so many colours!





I kept wondering what sort of installation I could make with them, and Barry suggested letters…so after a fair bit of pondering I decided to make my letters for the first alphabet out of the coloured pencils.

Not that you'd know it from these shots…





But maybe now you can see what I was doing…

A - with an Amethyst theme…


B - with a Burgundy theme…


C - with a Crimson theme…


D - with a Denim theme…


I must say I have had some fun with these! Altho I am not sure just how I will go making some of the bigger/wider letters, I'm pretty sure I'll keep having fun trying!

20 comments:

  1. I'm loving this! -- so much fun! (and I have a very soft soft spot for coloured pencils.... )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ronnie - and yes the humble coloured pencil is pretty special.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful gift! You've got every color ever needed there, don't you? I so love the playfulness and uniqueness of your alphabet. The photos are wonderful too. I'm going back for another look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every colour ever needed anymore it seems! I really like their names as well. No idea how to bring it all to fruition but I am having fun playing with pencils...

      Delete
  3. Lovely and so creative! All those colored pencils Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a LOT of coloured pencils Roberta! And it is good fun, altho a bit of sand comes off each time and needs sweeping...

      Delete
  4. Oh lovely lovely pencils. Love your design with them too. So innovative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyndell - you sound like a coloured pencil lover too!

      Delete
    2. Absolutely! Just the smell is enough for me sometimes. And then the colours ....

      Delete
  5. Okay, now I have the answer to the question on ALAW! But what an amazing gift!
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty amazing gift indeed Sandy - and luckily I think I have enough to get thru the 26 letters!

      Delete
  6. ~clever alphabet you have brought out to play...it will be fascinating to see how it evolves!!! much love light and blessings~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandi - it is a fun alphabet that's for sure...

      Delete
  7. What a thoughtful gift to you! And what a delightful alphabet interpretation. I didn't finish my second alphabet last year either so now need to put that behind me and just move forward for this year! Thanks for hosting AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terrie - yes I let my second alphabet go, forgave myself and just moved on! And look, I am having so much fun now!

      Delete
  8. What a delightful present - and so cleverly used. Just think what you can do with all those colours. I think I have crayon-envy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understnadbale crayon envy Charlton ;- ) It is a great gift and I think Hiro will like what I have down with them for starters...

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley - now to begin the next few letters and see how they work!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.