Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The books meet and are beautiful

The days when Susan's and my collaborative books get together are always special. Today seemed particularly special as neither of us had seen or heard anything - not a hint or peek, nothing - since we first sat down together to see how we would work with our collection of prints back in November.

You may recall that Susan had boldly cut into the prints; whereas I was far more tentative.

I enjoyed that we both found our own way to have the prints work together, even tho they had never been intended by us as individuals let alone collectively, to be viewed together as a set or a series.

I paid my book scant attention whilst we were away, so had to really get my act together when we returned. Over the weekend I will show you the details of my book, but for today it's all about the books getting together…

I don't think Susan will mind me saying that we were both extraordinarily moved by seeing the two books together.  We hugged, and even shared the odd tear. The first time we've ever be so emotional in response to the getting together.

First of all, we just looked at the covers and could hardly believe our eyes - the similarities were so strong.


We went through each book separately and then turned the pages of them together, just to see how each story unfolded and held together, and how the two books complemented each other so well.  They were beautiful together. And equally beautiful as individuals.

My 'conversations' and Susan's 'daydreams' worked together so well; yet each told its own story uniquely and beautifully.


I don't think we've ever been so aware of our shared aesthetic as we were with these books. We talked a lot about our responses and how we were surprised, but not surprised when we saw each other's book; how we couldn't believe it, yet of course could believe it.


These books feel like companion pieces, or as we said a real pairing.


Of course we got a bit carried away with the lovely angle shots and shadows…


And despite me keeping the prints broadly intact (except for the cover) and Susan cutting them up into much smaller pieces; it was clear that they shared a heritage and had a common beginning.


We talked and talked about what had happened, and agreed that beginning with the same content and broadly agreeing to keep the size and shape pretty similar (Susan's is 22cm square and mine is 25cm square) both played big parts in the way the books looked and felt similar.  For the first time, our books felt biologically related, despite our obvious differences in mark-marking, writing, drawing and even embossing.


As ever, we learnt so much from the process, and we finished with very satisfied sighs.


25 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks J - I think if you'd been here you might have shed a tear too, or at very least joined in the hug!

      Delete
  2. An elegant beauty in each and both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Olga - they do both seem elegantly beautiful…go well.

      Delete
  3. Two beautiful results. Seeing how collaborating/experiemting aonongside someone of like mind can generate such interesting work makes me want to find a playmate living close by

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that Jac - it is a remarkable journey to work with somebody nearby with whom you and your work has this affinity. I wish you well in your searching - it is worth every moment!

      Delete
  4. ~a completion of two beautiful minds working away from one another yet together in such a marvelous way...companion books...complementing the creative mind of each other...Fiona...they are simply gorgeous pieces...much love light and blessings~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandi - I think you captured the essence of this work beautifully! They feel very special these books...

      Delete
  5. There's something quite spiritual about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the most beautiful statement Jo - thank you.

      Delete
  6. Fiona, breathtakingly beautiful! No wonder you were both so amazed and delighted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol - you are right, they did take our breath away a bit. We are so happy with them and a little bit dazed at how well they work together...

      Delete
  7. I love following your blog, always enjoy, but this is extra special - thank you for sharing your art with the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cally, thank you so much for keeping an eye on what I do! These books feel very special, and I love our collaboration so much. Go well.

      Delete
  8. I don't think either of us thought we could pull anything off with the raw material we had and yet I think of all we have made thus far, these two books float above the rest. SO very surprising and delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Susan - when I looked a at the prints I could hardly make sense of my own, let alone both sets! Laugh. We did end up doing something remarkable tho I think...

      Delete
  9. Wonderful to see what kindred spirits create, these are glorious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz - we do get to have the best time! I feel very fortunate to live nearby to Susan and to be able to share this journey...

      Delete
  10. I absolutely love both of these, and, yes, so interesting that they are close sisters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerianna - for the first time we really noticed how closely related our books were! We still feel as if we own our own books; but we can see the other quite clearly in them.

      Delete
  11. Such elegant synergy from you both. Perhaps this is what happens when you find the perfect partner to collaborate with. You have become so intuitive with each other's materials and these gorgeous things result. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.