Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thursday Thoughts...

"Take a moment from time to time to remember that you are alive. I know this sounds a trifle obvious, but it is amazing how little time we take to remark upon this singular and gratifying fact. By the most astounding stroke of luck an infinitesimal portion of all the matter in the universe came together to create you and for the tiniest moment in the great span of eternity you have the incomparable privilege to exist." 

Bill Bryson 

Bill Bryson has written some very funny travel books - I have enjoyed a few, especially the one about Australia. Sometimes I get all hoity toity if I think he's being unfair in his assessment; at other times I laugh out loud and think he's got us in one!

This quote is one of those notions that I need to remind myself of every now and again.  How truly wonderful it is to be alive, to be here, to share this earth with fabulous people and wonderful friends; to be able to experience and learn so much.  I like the way in which he suggests it is an incomparable privilege.

I certainly acknowledge that I am fortunate to be born in this country, to have had the opportunities I have had, the education I have had and the love and support I have had.

There is something about the manner in which he places us within this vast eternity of time and as a small gathering of matter given the size of the universe that is also very helpful to me. One of the reasons I love our mountain top is that it helps me remember how small and insignificant me and my worries or problems really are. The sense of scale and breadth and majesty keeps me thinking that the world is a big place and I am but a small inhabitant.  But it also offers breadth of opportunity and possibility...

I like the ocean as well - gazing over the vastness of an ocean reminds me how small we all are in the grand scheme of things; and the sense of the tide going in and going out, relentless in its continuity, also helps me know that life goes on, it's rhythms continue, no matter what might be happening to me.


8 comments:

  1. i think that's why i live next door to a wilderness area…to be reminded. it's so easy to forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nature, emptiness, wilderness - all great reminders V

      Delete
  2. A privilege indeed and quite mind boggling to get one's head around it all. We do need reminders to acknowledge just how lucky we are. When on holiday at the Wild Coast I stop in my tracks and try to take it all in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to have touchstones in your life where you can really relate to the thought and be reminded isn't it Robyn? Not always easy in amongst a busy life...

      Delete
  3. ~breathing these words in deeply this morning...thank you so for filling our day so beautifully...much love light and blessings~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Brandi - I hope you breathed in your fill!

      Delete
  4. Looking up into the night sky is good for this too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh so true Felicity! When you get to see a night sky in all its magnificence, you get that we are only small in amongst it all…go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.