Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Travelling stitches...

Whilst we were away over Christmas I had figured I wouldn't do much calligraphy nor much book making, but I thought I should have something with me that would let me do something with my hands if I got tired of reading…

I signed up for one of Jude Hill's online courses (Spirit Cloth 101)and grabbed a few scraps of fabric, a needle and some thread and hoped!

I have found the course material really interesting and easy to use - and despite me having no idea what I was doing to start with, I have enjoyed letting my fingers find their way through the fabric and respond to what is happening.

Hand-stitching is such a lovely way to spend time and to sit quietly with needle in hand taking little steps, repeating…is all very calming and meditative.

I haven't gotten far through the course and am just testing out my own ideas and thoughts as I go - nothing really planned - but that too is good for me. I am fine with everything being loose, unstructured and not perfect.

Here are some shots from my travel stitches…







We have just had a few days away, and I took the stitching with me. I think it will become my story of travelling stitches...

16 comments:

  1. Lovely, such neat stitches and lovely choice of cloth are you sure you haven't been doing this for years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie - very kind! I have been stitching in many ways for a while, but not so much with free-form fabric. I love hand-stitching!

      Delete
  2. Big smile here. Isn't there just something about stitching?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like Cookie Monster here - mmmm stitching!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Caterina - it is going somewhere interesting and it is so very enjoyable. The fabric and the stitching feel like good friends getting together with me for a chat!

      Delete
  4. These are beautiful and so delicate and 'of another world'.
    Stitching for me has become life-blood. I love the nothing really planned at the start, not perfect approach and how the work blossoms in my head and grows in my hand. A story of travelling stitches sounds wonderful to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlton - I can imagine how stitching becomes lifeblood, the connection, and a force. It comes from within and emerges gently onto the fabric telling a story…things take shape and take place before your eyes don't they?

      Delete
  5. this is a great way to find out where stitch will take you, with a master teacher in the ethers when you need her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Velma - I really do fee in safe hands! It is also such a well put together programme - the chance to go back in, repeat, skip parts…always with some wise and sage words to accompany things...

      Delete
  6. I swear we share a brain cell! I too have been stitching these past few weeks, enjoying the repetitive, slow process. My results are not as appealing as yours but I enjoy allowing the unfolding...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laugh! I hope you have been enjoying your stitching as much I have. You almost can't stitch fast can you - so things do get a chance to unfold…have fun!

      Delete
  7. These images are just beautiful Fiona! It's always wonderful to see your work in such detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All taken with my phone Louise, but I do love the intimate details of threads. Sigh.

      Delete
  8. I spy beautiful fabric - home dyed? I have a piece of hand stitched rust dyed cloth that I started after looking at the Storycloths of a textile artist called Wendy Rudd. I must search it out, pick up that needle and carry on as your description of the act of stitching makes me want to do it too Fiona!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lesley well spotted - some fabric rust-dyed with green tea! The stitching process is so enjoyable; but I often feel odd finding the time/giving myself permission to do it at home, so I think that's why the travel stitching might work for me. We have a few trips to make in the next wee while...

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.