Thursday, January 16, 2014

Thursday Thoughts...

“Go into the arts. I’m not kidding. The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven’s sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possibly can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something.” 

Kurt Vonnegut

I think that any time we can encourage folk, children, young adults, old adults to be a bit creative is great!

It's probably pretty accurate that the arts are not a way to make a living (maybe the 80:20 rule applies; 80% need to do other work and 20% make a living?), but it is a great way to make a life.

The way in which it opens you up, lets you escape, feeds your soul, makes you feel so darn good - all of these things add up to making your life so much better, richer and more wonderful, just to experience the dailiness of life in a creative or artistic way.

Sometimes it's just a fragment of the day; sometimes it's a week-long workshop; sometimes it's every day in large doses.  Having art as a way of being in the world, seeing things and experiencing things is such a wonderful way to be.

Not the most coherent or cogent thoughts by me, but I love his enthusiasm for doing something - no matter what it is - the pay off is fantastic!

Blinds by Mary Heilmann, 1975, Brooklyn Museum
Once again I am playing along with Jennifer and Julie in their search for Roy G. Biv - aka the rainbow of colours (and more this year). The third Thursday of each month they choose to post on a colour and we have started the year with RED. Pop over to see more red, and or to join in!

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful, powerful image and, as always your thoughts are so true. For me, art is a continual lesson, a joy and a liberation. I'm always seeking to do more, be better and say something different. Whether or not I achieve it, it's a great way to live a life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that image quite luscious Charlton? I loved it when I saw it…Like you I think art is a great way to live a life…it brings such joy and I feel so fortunate to be able to live a life of art. Go well.

      Delete
  2. Not only is your Red choice beautiful but your Thursday Thoughts ring true and beautiful for me. I agree having art in ones life,' seeing and experiencing things is such a wonderful way to be.' Thank you for such a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by- loved your reds too! It is wonderful to have art as a guide and a daily companion I think...

      Delete
  3. A great quote. Thanks, too, for sharing work by an artist with whom I am not familiar, Fiona.
    Nice to meet you!
    -sus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming on over for red as well Susan - it's fun isn't it? Always good to find a new artist to follow up on too…go well.

      Delete
  4. Nice post. Making art, I can't imagine not creating something every day (well at least thinking about making art everyday)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill - I agree about at least thinking about art every day! I don't always get to make it, but it fills my mind. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.