Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A shop revival

One of the things I have wanted to do for a while, but for the last six months of last year was too busy, is to revamp my website shop.

I was thrilled and excited when I managed to launch it and have it go live; and then didn't do much else; just occasionally took a piece off if it sold.

I have been thinking a bit about what sort of work sells where and decide that my larger or more expensive books probably feel like a real gamble for folk to purchase online. When people see them and can hold them, they might have the chance for a heart-sell, but I do wonder if there is a limit to the amount of money we are willing to spend with on-line art-type purchases.


Anyhow, I put it in the diary that I wanted to do this by the end January and am feeling a wee bit chuffed that I managed to do it.  I have refreshed the site, put in a variety of my smaller works as well as a downloadable exemplar of my heartbeat script.



I think we have worked out that if you purchase more than one item, you only pay once for shipping which is a good thing I hope!

So if you click here or on the shop box in the sidebar, you will be taken off to see the things I have decided to sell on-line.

If you click here, you'll get see Barry's revamped shop as well!

Any feedback is welcome as I expect I will be tweaking things a bit this way and that for a while.

I have also updated my portfolio page to keep things current and up to date.


I am hopeful that I will manage to be more regular in updating and refreshing my website this year - a bit of a commitment to investing in myself and my work in a way...

10 comments:

  1. I like your web site. Finally creating my own is one of my goals for 2014. I've had my domain name for far too many years... I'm wondering what platform you used to create your site? And are the prices showing in US dollars or is the computer doing a conversion somehow? Probably asking too many questions so I'll stop now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks J - I am not sure re the dollar thing will double check and let you know. I think once you get to paypal it would convert if it hasn't already. The prices are in Aussie $ for starters…

      This uses a wordpress template and a special one called Photography which we bought from the Theme Foundry http://thethemefoundry.com. I have had good support from them, but still needed help from an IT friend to get it going live..feel free to ask more questions!

      Delete
  2. Fiona....looks great! I love that everything is all really in one place and everything has a cohesive look and feel. Of course, the work looks amazing! I think you are right about the sort of price point at which people are reluctant to buy works online. It has happened, but I've also found that my "online" work in the Etsy shops tends to be more accessible financially. Best wishes....you are off to a fine start for the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty - I like the look and feel as well - simple and uncluttered. Interesting to compare notes re purchasing confidence on-line. I find these items sell sell at our Open Studio as the 'take home reminder' kind of thing...

      Delete
  3. What a great feeling Fiona to get your shop and portfolio up to date. You've had such a successful year in 2013 and I hope 2014 brings even greater success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen. 2013 seems like it was a big year, and its good to settle into a pattern now of consolidating in a way. It does feel good to have things up to date! Altho I think I already need to add my new collaborative book to the Portfolio...

      Delete
  4. This is all most enticing - I will visit properly when I have time to savour and browse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Charlton - any feedback welcomed, and I hope you enjoy your wander. Go well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your online shop is looking wonderful, Fiona! You are offering a nice range of "accessible" pieces, & bring up an interesting point about the dilemma of price threshold for online artwork. It's undoubtably true that people cannot truly appreciate the beauty/intricacy/details of a piece until holding it in their hands - a shame, as this means that most will never have the chance to experience all of the unique & exquisite work that exists (& is just waiting to find a home). At least the web does make it easier for artists to share work with others, whether through a blog, website or shop. I hope that your shop continues to be discovered by more & more people...
    Your updated portfolio is also looking smart - you have created such an impressive body of work...it must be very satisfying : ) Happy continued creating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughtful response and wishes Lisa - the world of on-line selling is another world altogether for me! It is good to be able to offer folk a chance to purchase a little something like they might in my studio. I am pleased with the updated portfolio as well - I think it is important to me, for me, to maintain that page and to show where I have been going and what I gave been doing. Already I need to pop Conversations up! Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.