Sunday, July 26, 2015

Re-making...

Making and re-making. Sometimes, you just have to pull things apart and start over.

I'll take you back...The 9th book in my collaboration with Susan was the Burning Book. It is a huge perspex book called Endure.  I love it - it has presence and majesty and power about it.


I chose to use a style I have created for several other books.  I first used the perspex sandwich book back in 2013 when I made "Peace Mends the World" and Barry and I have gone on to use it with the Queensland Literary Awards trophies in both 2013 and 2014.

This 3-layered approach allows me to contain something - metal or pages, between perspex and have it settled within its own cocoon.  With Endure I wanted to have my cut out words floating across the page, and thought I could use the same approach. Barry tried hard at different points to suggest to me that the paper might be too thin to hold and that it could (would) slip down.  I was somewhat headstrong and keen to get the book done so ignored his sage advice.

You know where this is headed.

Of course, the words slipped.




We tried a couple of desperate wingle-wangle (technical term) approaches to push them back up etc etc, to no avail; and so the only way to make this book beautiful again, is to take it apart, pull the four pages with floating words apart, secure the words and then re-rivet the pages and sew it up again.

I'm not actually too phased by needing to do this, because I know the book deserves it.

And along the way I got to look at lots of loverly iterations of words and layering...




A while ago I got new Perspex cut. Over the weekend we drilled holes in the new trios.

Then I cut the stitching to release the pages from each other.


Such a lovely nest of thread remained.


Next steps...separate the trio of pages that are riveted together - means hard work and breaking!  Then gently and safely transfer the inside pages to the new trios.  Then firmly attach words! Then re-rivet. Then clean. Then re-stitch. Then clean again. So I know what I'm doing next week...

10 comments:

  1. Such a process...but bet the end result is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It i has really been a process Jo, but I'm almost there!

      Delete
  2. there's a lovely serendipity in the slippage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Mo, and if it was just for me, I expect I might have kept it like that; but the book has been sold and it needs to be perfect!

      Delete
  3. tales of cleaning woes from a friend who uses perspex to frame her lovely prints has caused me to avoid to the material --- your post here and all the references to cleaning cleaning cleaning are cementing my view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true it can be a bit fussy - but i do think the results are worth it! I love how things float within it, and it offers another dimension to work.

      Delete
  4. Good Luck Fiona, but a job worth doing is worth doing properly , is that what they say?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Kate - and I often need to remind myself of those words!

      Delete
  5. Marvelous! I have had similar ideas myself, and am wondering what you used to secure the words. I can't think of anything that won't show. Also, is perspex the same as what we call plexiglass? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for my tardiness Sharmon. Perpsex is the same as Plexiglass I think...and in the end I used a PVA glue which dried clear. Have fun experimenting! I would suggest trying to glue scraps of paper to scraps of Perspex to start with and seeing what works...go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.