Sunday, February 3, 2019

Workshop preparations and trialling things

I will be teaching a couple of workshops over in Toowoomba in June. Originally we had plans for March, so I have been preparing a few samples and checking out ideas. And then the date changed so the pressure is off for a bit!

I will be teaching Black Beauty again, but also a new workshop called Words, Words and More Words - helping visual artists use text in their work.

So it is for non-calligraphers and non-letterpress printmakers, to have a go at exploring using text in different ways and for different purposes. As backgrounds, as features; legible and illegible...should be fun!

There are always some basic stamping, stencilling and stickers that can do the job, but I think it is worth exploring more artistic approaches to text as well.

We'll be working with a few different and unusual tools - like twigs - and seeing how the wobbliness of them can create text texture.





Some interesting and different stamps.


And of course, as ever, I am intrigued by the cleaning up page as much as the printing page!


 We'll use our handwriting a bit - exaggerate it here and there and see how that works.

  We might overlap and layer it as well.


 So all in all, at least the exploration has begun and the challenge seems to me, to be whittling down the multiplicity of ideas I have to some excellent ones.

I have also been working towards an edition of 15 books and tested out the the embossing plates for the covers on Friday.

The shellac worked and the glue got less pink than previously...


They came up well and I have embossed 20 just in case.



 And here's one using the other plate I prepared, which I rejected because it was far less interesting.
But you get a feel for how the cover will work.


Progress!

4 comments:

  1. Love the texture of the embossed covers. Looking forward to seeing the contents

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jac - I like how the covers have come along as well - the content are still very much a work in progress! Go well.

      Delete
  2. F - so much preparation and so much thoughtfulness regarding content. B

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.