Thursday, June 4, 2020

Thursday Thoughts...

"If you spend enough time reading or writing, you find a voice, but you also find certain tastes. You find certain writers who when they write, it makes your own brain voice like a tuning fork, and you just resonate with them. And when that happens, reading those writers … becomes a source of unbelievable joy. It’s like eating candy for the soul. And I sometimes have a hard time understanding how people who don’t have that in their lives make it through the day". 

David Foster Wallace

This one was chosen because in some small way it exudes the  joy and delight I get from reading.

Like eating candy for the soul.

For me, I really do find my happy place, my safe place, my calm place between the covers of a book. I have recently had moments when despite my to do list, all I really wanted was to scratch out some time to sit and finish my book .  I was so hooked up with the story and the characters that I really wanted to find out what happened. It felt like a dazzling reward awaiting me.

I read before I go to to sleep; I carry books with me when I catch a train or travel; they are nearly always the first consideration when packing - how many books can I take and will they fit?

And whilst I love that my life is filled with books and reading, I do get that it's not for everybody!

6 comments:

  1. (((Fiona))) I fall asleep reading every night, drifting into imaginary extra chapters then find it hard to get back to the place where I drifted off... my favourite newly discovered author is Brian Castro, 'The Bath Fugues' is my favourite so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know what I would do without a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. always a book in bed ... and if I had my druthers, I would (and do, when I'm alone) leave the light on all night, the better to pick up where I left off when I drifted into sleep

    "my" writer is Anna Quindlen (her non-fiction in particular) ... I long ago forgave her for coming unseen into my house to get material for her columns ... ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the word druthers Liz! And Anna is new to me but I shall follow her up. I love the companionship of reading, especially in bed.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.