Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Paper letter cutting

 I am teaching paper letter cutting in a few weeks' time and have been once again getting down and doing lots of preparation.

Much paper cutting is decorative in terms of the imagery; but we will be cutting letters. Which might not sound any harder; but it does take a particular type of planning.

I have done a variety of cut letters in my artwork and each them requires you to concentrate and work out what is needed to keep the lettering together.  There are simple things; and there are some complicated things.




And it's not all in the planning of the lettering. There is planning of the cutting as well; and then there is the tidying up.

The initial cuts oftentimes don't connect...especially at corners. So we focus on going back in to really make contact. Not tugging away to try and rip it out!



Sometimes the going back in to connect is less perfect than desired, so then there is the tidying up.


And as in many fields - curves can be tricky.


Nevertheless cut lettering looks gorgeous and is worth the effort I think.

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I've been experimenting with cut letters as a very poor substitute for type as I can't get to the print studio. These are on annother level

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind of you Jac. They offer something different that's for sure; but they are very painstaking. I think calligraphers get the lettering detail and are OK with the time it takes. But they can be gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. I live in N Ireland and am envious of those able to take your class. I did calligraphy on vellum for school A level but it is all gone but so appreciate text in work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene! I love lettering in all sorts of work and it always draws me in. Go well and enjoy Summer!

      Delete
  3. wow, they make gorgeous textures. Yes, it's not easy to get the cutting right. I also like the idea of not cutting out the whole letter, but just parts of it. Clever and pretty !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annick. I really like playing with how much of a letter we recognise when there are only parts left - it quite fascinates me! And cutting offers you the chance to do that...go well.

      Delete
    2. Annick - this put me in mind of your negative-space explorations some time back ... equally fascinating

      Delete
  4. I especially like the "dream peace/imagine peace" coupling, with the letters extending into the open spaces

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a lovely piece Liz - I use it as a demonstration for teaching, shall send you a pic! It takes a while to work out the designs, (and to cut!) but I love the ethereal nature of it. Go well.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Mo! Teaching often forces me to go back through the archive and rediscover some classics. Go well.

      Delete
  6. Oooow, what a great preview of our upcoming workshop. Looks fantastic, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.