Thursday, July 1, 2021

Thursday Thoughts...

“When shall we set sail for happiness?” 

Charles Baudelaire

As part of my regular bibliomancy - reading for and about art related but not directly related kind of thing - I read Alain de Botton's The Art of Travel.

There were some marvellous descriptions, explorations, and whimsical meanderings throughout the book. Some chapters captured my attention deeply; others I skipped over. And every now and again there was a a quote.

This simple question just tugged at my heart immediately and still does so.

The idea that we have to leave where we are to find happiness is so sad. The longing in question - seeking a departure time, the opposite of the child in the back seat's refrain "are we there yet"? 

I think it's the sense of waiting, of feeling that happiness cannot be found where I am and at this moment that I find so achingly sad. As if happiness is just over there, out of reach...

It truly made me stop and consider how important it is to find the moments, and the joy, and the happiness in the here and now. To not assume it is over there, and 'if only I was there, doing that, with those people, at that place, during that time could I or would I find happiness'.

I think our job is to find happiness wherever we are, and in whatever small moments of things we can.


Our first ruby grapefruit at our new place. We planted this tree in September last year; and this winter it has gifted us two grapefruit.  Sitting in the morning sun, this made me happy.

6 comments:

  1. I can only imagine what freshly picked grapefruit tastes like ... it looks wonderful!

    and I couldn't help thinking that traveling into and through a book is so readily accessible ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious and delightful Liz - so good! Books enable travel so much more easily than travel itself these days!

      Delete
  2. (((Fiona))) I know that deep longing for elsewhere...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mo, me too...do you just pop it in a box and set is aside, pull it out every now and again to look at it and smile shyly, then pop it back again before your heart cracks? Having said and done that, I guess I then try to find the happiness in the here and now as well! Go well.

      Delete
  3. F- so true - finding fragments of happiness in the here and now. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful to have hopes and dreams and plans; but also so important to look around you and see the happy times here and now...

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.