Sunday, September 26, 2021

Teaching Modern Versals

 I say Modern Versals as if its a thing well understood - but perhaps for non calligraphers it is an odd thing to say.  Simply put Versals are drawn letters; built up by several strokes and kind of coloured in. That is a very basic take on the versal; but they are different to letters calligraphers form when using a nib and ink which creates both thick and thin lines.

I taught my workshop on modern versals at Buderim last weekend and it was, as ever, fun to see where folk take it and the joy they get from pushing boundaries and stretching the rules.

Apologies for not capturing and recalling everyone's work and the names to attribute to the images... but here are some examples of them at work, and at play...














Once again, fully masked all day and we managed!

With thanks to the enthusiastic crew at Buderim Craft Cottage for their warm welcome and their great participation. 

4 comments:

  1. I really do think I need to move to Australia ... what fun you all have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you would be warmly welcomed here anytime, and yes we could have fun! I always want to go play with people in their studios and spaces...one day perchance. Go well!

      Delete
  2. (((Fiona))) love seeing the variations but gosh teaching in a mask for hours would be hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always so wonderful to see how differently folk interpret things - I always want them to create something that feels like them, and that is theirs. It was tiring in a mask (all that rebreathing and you have to speak louder to be heard etc); but I know it has nothing on being in PPE all day! How ell.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.